Why, hello there! Long time no see! Sorry to let this blog go dark for so long, but I was working on my TOTALLY AWESOME BIG EFFING RED BLANKET OMG and I thought a constant stream of updates on one project for so long would get boring. But now that my Girasole is done, I find it anything but boring! Here’s a shot of the center sunflower motif up close:
Yayyyyyyyyyy. I am beyond pleased to have finished this so quickly — and just in time for some more overcast weather. I was worried that what passes for winter here in southern California would be over by the time I finished making this, but in retrospect I shouldn’t have been — Girasole doesn’t have any more stitches than a large shawl, it just seems intimidating because it’s knit in worsted weight wool & therefore is ginormous. I actually finished knitting this two weeks ago, but Pat & I spent a week visiting Austin and I didn’t get a chance to block it until this weekend. It was very nice to knit during the coldest, rainiest month I’ve ever spent in SoCal, though — it was very snuggly to have a big blanket-in-progress on my lap all that time.
And now it will facilitate couch naps! Knitting this was every bit as fun as everyone says it is — the constantly changing pattern gives you something to look forward to and mark your progress by. I omitted the last repeat of the last chart because everyone on Ravelry was bitching about how much yarn the edging took and I didn’t want to run out. I thought I had enough, but since I’d special ordered the yarn from goddamn Nebraska I was not in the mood for a nailbiter. It turned out that I would have been fine; the edging took somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 yards, which is basically what I was expecting. I also didn’t find the edging nearly as tedious as everybody else seems to have; the pattern for it was easily memorizable and it just took a couple of nights in front of the John Hughes movies that Pat & I have been working our way through courtesy of Netflix. I suspect that most people are so anxious to be done by that point that the edging seems like it takes forever, but I had a pretty zen attitude about it — I was frankly pleased to be so close to done so quickly.
What did irritate me was the blocking process — I was a little shocked that pinning out the damn thing took over three hours and an emergency trip to Rite-Aid for more safety pins. Earlier in the week I’d visited two LYSes and called a third looking for more rust-proof blocking pins, but nobody had them. I could have driven to Jo-Annes, but it was too far for me to bother, and I thought I had enough safety pins on hand to make it. But alas. One of the many ways in which I look up to Anne Hanson is her infinite patience with the blocking process — she claims to actually like the pinning-out process and find it soothing and meditative, but I have not yet ascended to that plane of existence.
Here I am demonstrating how this blanket is going to help with my dissertation research:
And here is a longer shot of the blanket on the couch, demonstrating a little more clearly how it ties the room together:
I’ve got a couple different small projects on the needles now, but I’ll save them for my next post. For now, I’m off to do some very snuggly reading!