Summertime Blues

I have finally, finally finished my Basket of Flowers stole. I’d been playing chicken with the end for the last few weeks, wanting to bind off but then talking myself into one more repeat — over and over again. But I’m very happy with the final (enormous) length! It’s ended up, after blocking, at 23″ x 75″.

This was, of course, the huge project that was supposed to occupy me for our whole trip to and two-month stay in Austin, TX this summer. It succeeded at that and then some — though I also finished a small lacy scarf, a large garter-stitch shawl, and a tiny something that I’ll show you momentarily in that time.

The yarn is “Shimmering” from A Verb for Keeping Warm in Oakland, CA — a 100% tussah silk yarn. It’s also indigo dyed, and as you can see in this close-up shot there’s a fair amount of denim-like variation in the colorway, which is called “My Hand and Yours.” I’ve very happy with the finished piece — it’s huge and gorgeous, it can function as a giant scarf or as a wrap, and it’s a beautiful color! The knitting did get a little bit tedious towards the end, but for 80% of this project the stitch pattern was varied enough in itself that it didn’t bother me much.

Here’s the other thing I finished recently:

This is Georgie Hallam’s Rainbow Dress knit for a wee babe recently brought into this world by my friends Julie and Tom. I made one of these for my friend Liz’s baby a few years ago and it was very successful, so I figured I’d do it again. This one has a different hem, and I’m totally thrilled with how those pleats came out. The yarn is Madelinetosh DK in the “Wash” colorway, and this used up just about an entire skein for what I think is the 6-month size.

I am also very close to being done with my Semele, but I fear that tragedy is nigh:

It’s hard to tell from this picture, but I really really really might run out of yarn. In fact, I’m pretty sure I will, but the slim chance that I won’t means I’ll keep knitting a bit longer to see how it plays out. I’ll be really annoyed if I do have to rip this back past the halfway point — not only will that in itself be a pain in the butt, but the finished article will be significantly smaller if I have to do the turn earlier. Arrrrrg.

My Summit is coming along swimmingly, though:

I actually haven’t been working on it a lot because it requires a fair amount of brain to count and pay attention, so I generally work on it during documentaries and other slightly boring films. But in the span of a standard film, I can get all the way across and back with the pattern, which adds like 4 inches of length: what you see here is exactly 5 movies’ worth of work.

That’s all for now, but I’ll probably be starting something new soon now that the stole is finally off the needles!